Wednesday, June 16, 2010

San Diego, How do I love thee...

There is nothing even slightly comparable to taking a 14 hour round trip bus ride with a hundred 11 and 12 year kids. For some it could border on torture. For me, I looked on the bright side, an opportunity to see my 12 year old with her friends at a place that I simply adore... San Diego.

We arrived at San Diego Bay at a still dark 5 am after driving all night on the bus. Sleep, anyone? Uh, no. I can't forget to mention the snow that we drove through in the mountains. Yes, it was snowing a lot, in April, an hour outside of San Diego. I felt like we were driving through a Utah blizzard. You know the feeling, clenched fists, elevated heartbeat...

We took a charter boat out for a couple of hours and were able to see the sun rise on the Bay. It was beautiful despite the on and off rain. The adults hid in the cabin but the kids had to brave the swells. I counted two seasick kids.

Did I mention how cold it was out on the water? I thought we were in Alaska, not San Diego.

San Diego Bay hosts dozens of Navy ships and it was awesome seeing them leave harbor.

I got to see my favorite part of Sea World, the Shamu show. They currently have four orcas performing. Watching Shamu makes me feel like a kid again. I just love it!

The tide pools are always fun to explore. The girls were there longer than any other stop besides the manta ray pool.


The second day didn't fail me. The perfect San Diego weather decided to make an appearance. We went to a beach that has been commandeered by the local sea lion population. It was cool to see them up close but all I could think of was, what a boring life they lead.


Laying in the sun all day, soaking up rays, taking an ocean dip now and then. Total bummer.

My favorite girl with one of her favorite buddies.

The bus ride home. So sad leaving the sun and water but ready to go back to the real world. See you soon, San Diego!

1 comment:

jeannie said...

OMG I've totally been missing your posts! I'm glad your back on so i can take sneak peaks into what Miss J is up to. Glad you got to come for a visit but SAD you were so sick so I didn't get to see you much. I just saw Eclipse again last night and thought of yoU!