Friday, April 13, 2007
I'm A Wimp!
So, here's my wimp story. Kind of pathetic but here goes. Last night the electricity went out right about dusk. This is the third power outage we've had in the past month due to crazy wind storms. Anyway, the man of the house was working late and we were finishing up dinner. My first instinct is to get out the emergency candle I got in Relief Society last year. The tag said it was a 30 hour emergency candle. Second was to get my cell phone & call hubby since the main phone doesn't work without electricity. Of course, my cell phone was nowhere to be found and the candlewick burned down to the wax and and the light went out. So much for 30 hours, more like 15 minutes. I found another candle and desperately looked in the garage for our big, black maglite. It was also nowhere to be found! Now I'm panicking. The scenario of being alone with the kids in in the dark was terrifying! I'm a basketcase in a crisis. I need my man! Pathetic, I know! I decided to drive to hubby's office so I don't have to stay in a pitch dark house with the kids for who knows how long. Then I remembered that our garage door is also electric and I don''t know how to open it manually. I finally found the maglite up in the master closet but I still can't find my cell phone. Meanwhile, the kids were entertaining themselves, telling ghost stories, of course. I went downstairs and the kids asked if we should say a prayer to find my phone. My little man who loves to pray took the lead and prayed for the electricity to come on and for mommy to find her cell phone. After the prayer, I found our garage door owners manual and read up on how to manually open the garage door. Not as hard as I thought. I went inside & told the kids to put on their shoes, we're heading out to Daddy's office in the howling wind. Fortunately, in the process of finding our shoes in candlelight we found the elusive cellphone. I called ahead and let hubby know we're going to crash his office and call the electric company when we get there. By the time we got to the office and called the electric company, the electricity magically came on and we went for naught. Oh well, at least we got daddy to come home early :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
So did you get all your gear ready for the next time?? I swear the power goes out here way too much. Be brave, be brave. I would be in the same boat I don't know where anything is these days. Better luck next time.
Uh, no! Better get to it!
Post a Comment