Wednesday, December 10, 2008

'Twas The Night Before Christmas

Our family loves to read. I grew up reading the classics- Little Women, Anne of Green Gables, Nancy Drew, The Secret Garden, The Three Musketeers. The list of books I have read is literally pages and pages long. I love books. My mom always gave us books for birthday and Christmas gifts. I remember reading a book every Christmas Day while nibbling on the goodies from my stocking. I have continued that tradition with my kids. They receive books on their birthdays and on Christmas as well. One family tradition that we have taken from Matt's side of the family is that of Christmas books. Every Christmas season from our first year of marriage we have received a Christmas book as a gift and/or picked up a holiday favorite ourselves. Our collection has grown to nearly 40 books. They are all loved and well-read. Starting December 1st, the books are out and I read at least one to the kids every night. We have many favorites and a great assortment of both secular and religious themes, hard-cover, soft-cover and even board books for the babies. I thought I'd share some of our favorites. If you are thinking of starting this tradition yourself these books would be a good place to start.
Santa Mouse by Michael Brown. A classic from Matt's childhood.

Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree by Robert Barry.
A tale of a Christmas tree that keeps on giving.

Jan Brett's Christmas Treasury by Jan Brett.
The kid's favorite Nordic inspired writer and illustrator.
The illustrations are very detailed and often tell simultaneous stories.

Who Was Born this Special Day? by Eve Bunting.
The illustrations in this book are beautiful, calming paintings.

Christmas Day in the Morning by Pearl S. Buck.
A touching story about service and the true meaning of Christmas.

Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer by Robert L. May.
This is the original story written in 1939.
Our kids absolute favorite.

Happy Holiday Reading!

5 comments:

Mary and Ryan said...

That is such a great tradition! Im totally going to do it. There is nothing like a good book, nothing!

Trisha said...

I love that, and thanks for the great book suggestions. I might just need to try one of those out. I just barely got done reading a few Christmas books with my kids tonight, so great. I would love to start that tradition to get more Christmas books. We have that same tradition with Christmas movies.

Heather C. said...

We have a great collection of Christmas books too. TONS! And we add to it every year. But we actually don't have ANY of the ones you listed, I can't believe it. We will need to add some of those. I also could be better at sitting down and formally reading to the kids...but they have been using the Christmas books for their daily 20 min. of reading for school. And they love it!

jeannie said...

So cute! We need more of those around here. Cute post!

JaMie HeApS said...

we need to get on some of those books