Matt & I watched the CNN Republican debate last night. One thing I like about televised debates is seeing the facial expressions & body language of the candidates. Sometimes a person's true self comes out. John McCain was at his best- exhibiting his smarmy smirk. He drives me nuts. Every other sentence was about his being a "foot soldier in the Reagan Revolution". What?! I can respect the man for his military service. He is a genuine war hero. However his sense of entitlement grates on my nerves. When he couldn't answer a question he brought up his military service. McCain is a career politician and it shows. He put out false ads on Romney in Florida. Fortunately, Romney called him on it. He seems to have issues with Romney's wealth. What the heck? Romney spent many years in school- undergrad from my alma mater, MBA & JD from Harvard. All this takes time, discipline, and dedication to living life on a higher level. Is that wrong? Should he be degraded for succeeding? What's up with the class warfare talk? He sounds like a liberal. If I was Romney I would have told McCain in the debate, "You are damn right, it is my money and I will use it as I damn well please because I earned it!" (sorry, mom!)
I am getting really bugged over people saying that Mormon Romney supporters are only voting for him because he's a Mormon. Romney is doing well because he is most in line with the party base's conservative values. That's why he's getting a lot of votes from non-Mormons. Mormon Dems like to say that the only reason Mormons vote Republican is because we are too scared of social pressure to vote democrat even though in their opinion all democratic values are based on gospel principles. Some Mormons try a little too hard to go against what they perceive as the norm because they don't want to be viewed as religious sheep. Rather than make informed decisions they want to be considered a little rebellious. I'm sure they will be having second thoughts when 40% of their income is going to the government & it takes 6 months to see an eye doctor. This election is all about the economy. I hope people can see this. The war in Iraq has nearly bankrupt this country & we need to fix it. The only candidate that has real economic experience is Romney. McCain has freely admitted that he is weak on economic issues.
Hillary or Obama will keep spending & raising taxes. We need a President that has been in the private sector and in the real world, not in Washington creating the problems we have now. I don't want my husband to be out of a job. His company has been doing massive layoffs because the housing market is really struggling. I don't think people realize how dire it is out there. We are all interconnected. When the housing market fails, other industry is effected negatively as well. Bush is killing me with his band-aid economic plan. Congress is going to pass a moronic "economic stimulus package" just so we the people believe they are committed to turning this rotten economy around. The people that pay most of the taxes won't even get a penny back. People are so caught up in the "free money" bait that they are not realizing that we don't even have the money to pay the rebates. The money will be borrowed from China, it will be sucked up into the current national debt & our grandchildren will be paying for it. Matt & I will take ours, of course, & not spend it but sock it away in savings in case we need it to pay our mortgage when he's in the unemployment line. So much for consumer spending. I hope that Mitt Romney gets the Republican nomination. I will be voting for him on February 5th. If he doesn't, we won't be moving to Canada but I will be doing my part to get him back in the running for the next election cycle which will certainly see a new republican nominee if Obama or Hillary are elected President. OK, my rhetoric is heating up so I'll stop now. I hope everyone will vote on Tuesday however your conscience dictates. To each his own. And mine is MITT ROMNEY!!
7 comments:
Amen, Amen, Amen sista!! I was just watching Fox news and Ann Coulter came on and said that if Mccain gets the endorsement that she will be voting for Hillary, because Hillary is more conservative. Ouch!! I wouldn't go that far, but I really hope it doesn't come to that:(
Well, the Cannons will be joining you in the unemployment line if a Democrat becomes president. Bye bye pharmaceuticals. Lovely! And amen is right...I agree with EVERYTHING you said. I loved the ranting...keep it up.
Unfortunately, most people are uneducated about the candidates and will just vote without any research. I think Mom said she would move to Canada if Hillary won. We'll just have to see what happens!
at least she has somewhere to stay! i'm not sure moving to canada will make much of a difference though if we have a dem pres & congress. we'll end up with a similar healthcare & tax system.
I like to see that you're passionate about these types of things. For the first time ever I'm really interested in the whole process and would love to see some change. I'm trying to understand how a republican will be so much better at improving an economy when a republican was in charge when the economy became the way it is now. Maybe it's not about republican/democrat.
You already know my views concerning immigration. I just don't feel good about voting for somebody who feels they need to deport ALL illegal immigrants (McCain, Huckabee). Why can pardons be personally given by the president to convicted felons when amnesty cannot be given to families contributing to society in a positive way. Please explain this to me if you can.
Anyway, I love you and hope you can still love me despite me left-leaning ways.
steve- the economy has gone to hell mainly because we've been funding an unplanned war that we can't afford. rep/dem- it's both of their faults. bush has a huge role because he couldn't control spending. i don't agree with him in this area. that being said, we have to finish what we started in iraq. what would be the point then? romney is the only candidate that has any private business experience. i think this would be helpful to our country. if washington was forced to run the country's finances like they force private business to do then we would have less economic problems. granted, the pres can only do do much on his own. if congress really cares about helping our economy they will cut spending, try to alleviate our tax burden & attempt to keep more jobs here instead of in India or China (that means lass tax burden on businesses). As far as illegal immigration, i know how you feel & i respect that. i have mixed feelings on it too. however, i have a problem with people breaking our laws, whether it is entering our country undocumented, stealing ss #'s to work, etc. i honestly am not sure what the solution should be. it is a complex problem. i feel sympathy for people who want to come here but they have to do it the right way. we expect that much from our own citizens. maybe immigration laws need to be changed to make it easier for them to come. i know that romney thinks they should go back to their home countries, then be allowed to apply for citizenship. no penalties assessed. the answer, realistic? i'm not sure. the majority of people that are concerned about immigration issues are not racists as the media likes to portray them but concerned citizens that are upset with illegal activity. i'm not sure that comparing convicted felons who have made amends for their crimes (for the most part) is the same as giving blanket amnesty to millions of unknown people. many of the illegal immigrants are hard workers but there are criminals among them. we need to know who can contribute to our society & who is a risk. it's a catch 22. illegal immigrants contribute greatly to our economy yet they are a burden on our welfare system. i love your compassion & energy. i was glad you joined in on the discussion. it's fun to be challenged! :)
This is fun. I always thought politics was so divisive. I mean, you can't even mention the Clintons in our house or mom gets furious. But, I guess it is possible to find some kind of common ground.
As for Romney, I like him as a person but just don't agree with some of his stances. I can't see how sending back all illegal immigrants and having them apply for entry would be a good idea. That still will destroy business, separate families and possibly hurt the economy even more. The immigration bureaucracy has broken the system. How about we allow families to continue working, have them pay fines, and let them apply for citizenship here. I know that is a very liberal idea but I think it would work.
Anyway, thanks for writing back to my comment. It's not the easiest to do this online or over the phone. Maybe next time we see you we can do it. Well, unless that's after the elections.
Post a Comment