*Disclaimer: This is a political post. It's not meant to offend if you don't agree but as this is my blog I write what I feel and what I want. This is America, after all. We have the right to express ourselves. So, please read as you will and remember, we live in country where there is a great diversity of thought and speech. We should respect that.
The day has come and past. The inauguration of Barack Obama as the 44th president of the United States of America. It was undeniably a pivotal moment in our country's history. The inauguration itself was amazing to watch with the throngs of people present. The general atmosphere of the event was exciting to see from my living room.
I didn't vote for Mr. Obama. I disagreed with enough of his particular policies to be able, in good conscience, to vote for him. However, I respect the office of the Presidency. Many people in this country despised George W. Bush and disrespected him in both language and action. People mocked him when he was assaulted on a trip to Iraq. He was booed at the inauguration. It was a shame and a disgrace to those of us who respect this country. The rhetoric of the past campaign was very strong. There were promises made that will be impossible to keep.
However, President Obama has already made quite a splash in his first 100 hours. Two things he has already put into play are the closing of the terrorist prison in Guantanamo Bay and reversing the Mexico City Policy, which releases US funding to international groups that provide women's health including abortions. On the horizon is an economic stimulus package most likely to be passed this coming week.
It's interesting to see what Mr. Obama's first priorities have been. The issue I have been the most disturbed about is the reversal of the Mexico City Policy. This was not a surprise to those of us who studied the agendas of the presidential candidates. They were very clear. Mr. Obama said he would do this and he did. He was elected by the majority of people and as such will be fulfilling their will. It just makes me sad that the sanctity of life appears to be a non-issue to people. I have a definite issue with American taxpayer dollars paying for abortions in general. Just because something is legal, doesn't make it right.
The ability to create life, to have children, is the greatest gift that God has given us. It is a great and sacred responsibility. A newborn baby is such a miracle. As the mother of five children, I have been so overwhelmed with a reverence and a love of God at all of their births. I do not doubt that these tiny babies have recently been with their Father in Heaven. Some say that members of the LDS church have a different perspective due to their religious beliefs and that we can't expect others of the world to understand life as deeply as we so. I think that is an excuse. Because of the knowledge we have, shouldn't we be at the forefront protecting those who cannot protect themselves?
3 comments:
Not to mention the fact that he is spending time worrying about the stupid crossover to digital telivision. Im so glad that is at the top of his list. I knew the abortion thing was coming, but is still hurts me to see it happen.
I for one, enjoy your political posts. I'm not good at keeping up on that stuff (I'm not a big news watcher) and I appreciate being kept abreast of the issues. Thanks.
I like you political posts too. I like them because you have a great way of expressing the way I feel...I just can't put them into words like you do...so keep it up!
Post a Comment