Since school is just around the corner & our summer vacation will be ending in a couple weeks I just had to make a tribute to some of my favorite guilty pleasures of summer.1. So You Think You Can Dance.
I ordinarily avoid Fox tv reality shows. The shows aren't really my taste. Except for this one. I absolutely love this season's dancers. They are all phenomenal. My faves this season are Neil, Danny, Sara & Lacey. Did anyone else see Dominic spin on his head last night?! Wow! That's all I can say! The thing I love about this show is how the dancers can, for the most part, transition to other genres of dance they are not specifically trained in & still entertain us by presenting beautiful & fun performances. That shows real talent & dedication!
2. Sleeping In.
This is my own personal guilty pleasure. My kids do not sleep in. In fact, many times they are up with the sun. Fortunately, now that dd is older she will help the boys with breakfast or set the tv on to their morning cartoons so I can get an extra hour or two of sleep in. What a trooper!
3. Grilling.
We pretty much grill on the barbeque every other day in the summer. For the first time this year I grilled shrimp which turned out super yummy (awesome recipe! thanks, anne margaret!) and lots of steak. Our old favorite is definitely my mil's turkey. See recipe below.
Marinated Turkey Breasts
1 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup oil
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. horseradish
2 cups 7-UP
Turkey breast fillets
Combine ingredients for marinade, adding 7-UP last. Add cut-up turkey & marinade for at least 8 hours, overnight for the best flavor. Place turkey on grill & watch carefully. Done when the middle is white.
4. Swimming.
This year has been a bit sporadic with swimming. The kids got in a session of swim lessons in & some trips to the local community pool. Joy of all joys, our own backyard swimming pool will be done soon & next year we'll be swimming every day! Can't wait!!
5. July Sale Shopping.
I know I'm shallow but I love a good sale & the best sale month of the year is July. This year I got $5.99 girls jeans at Old Navy, $3.99 boys shirts & shorts from TCP, $6 jammies at Gap, & since I did so well I was able with free shipping, to order some darling $7 girls shirts from Mini Boden. July is my clothing stock-up month for the year & this July treated our pocketbook well!
6. Strawberries & Raspberries.
The berries here weren't the best this year but we made due. It just isn't summer without berries. We had them with dessert, in our cereal, & the kids favorite way, solo! Yummy!
7. Family Trips.
I know I've already posted on our summer trip to Utah but I just had to comment again on how much we look forward to it. I love being up there for the July 4th holiday. It's definitely a family tradition we hold dear.
1 comment:
Thats funny about the turkey recipe. I already use that one on chicken and its been one of Steve's favorites. I don't use horseradish though, I should.
I love summer too.
Post a Comment