Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Sarah Palin: Hockey Mom Extraordinaire

Update Below
Sarah who? I've been hearing a lot of that lately. Sarah who? You know, that 40-something, mayor (or is it governor) of some podunk town in Alaska, mother of five, yes, I said, five children including a son serving in the US Army and a baby with Down Syndrome, BA in journalism. Who does she think she is? She's not ivy-league. Not law review. Where does she get off thinking she could become the vice-president of the United States of America? What does she have that her opponent Joe Biden, fine-upstanding, 30 years in Washington living off the taxpayers dime doesn't? What can she offer? Governor of one of the least populous states in the country. Soon to be grandmother of an illegitimate baby. Beauty Pageant contestant. Family values??

I don't get it.

Come on. Let's look at the negatives: she's a beautiful woman, happily married for twenty years, mother of five children, hockey mom, first term extremely popular governor, a maverick, complete Washington outsider, she's taken on corrupt GOP politicos and Big Oil in Alaska, member of the NRA, and she wears skirts!!

Feminists should love this woman. She's everything they've been trying create for the past 35 years. Successful working mom. Check. Pioneering woman in politics. Check. Anti-abortion. Uh-oh. Religious. Double uh-oh. Conservative. AAAHHH!

Seriously, when I first heard Sarah Palin was John McCain's choice for his running mate I was blown away. I never in a million years thought that McCain would pick a young, intelligent woman as his running mate. Just for that reason, my respect for him has grown. What a historical moment. What a historical election this is. Now, who is Sarah Palin?

She was raised in Wasilla, Alaska. She attended University of Idaho and graduated with her Bachelor's degree in Journalism. She married her high school sweetheart after college and worked as a sportscaster. Her husband never graduated from college but ran a commercial fishing business. He's a member of the Steelworkers Union and recently was working for BP Oil in Alaska. They are the parents of two sons, the oldest is enlisted in the Army and will be deploying to Iraq on September 11th. Her youngest is four months, diagnosed with Down Syndrome. They have three daughters, the oldest as we have been rudely informed is unwed and pregnant. Now for the nitty gritty. Her political record. Sarah Palin started out her political career as a city council member and later, two-term mayor of the town she grew up in. Wasilla, Alaska, pop. 8,500. She was appointed to the Alaska Oil & Gas Conservation Commission which she chaired and served as Ethics supervisor. It was during this post that she protested and filed complaints against prominent the state Republican Party's chairman and Attorney General regarding ethical issues. They resigned and were fined for ethical violations. In 2006 Palin ran for governor against a Republican incumbent and handily won. While in office she sold the previous governor's state-paid private jet on eBay and reduced pork-barrel spending. During her first legislative session, Governor Palin’s administration passed two major pieces of legislation – an overhaul of the state’s ethics laws and a competitive process to construct a gas pipeline.

The media seems to be infatuated not with the veep pick herself but with publicly humiliating her daughter, who at 17 and unwed, is five months pregnant. What is the story really? That her daughter is pregnant? That Sarah Palin is the mother of five children that she can't seem to keep track of? Why aren't the feminists defending her? Has the clock turned back 50 years? Is progression at a standstill because this woman is a conservative? Seems a tad sexist and yes, bigoted, if you ask me. (Read this and this and this.)

(wonder whose side they're on)


There is hardly a family in this country that has not been touched by unplanned and unwed pregnancies. Is this a battle that the democrats really want to fight? She is admirably keeping her baby and possible marrying the father. Good luck to them. Unfortunately, the ugliness that is in politics today will fan the flames of this story as long as they can. The hate-filled left will keep pushing Bristol Palin's pregnancy on us as an example of her mother's "hypocrisy". I believe this will backfire on them because Sarah Palin is real. She's normal. Here’s a woman who has run a business, raised a family, who is sending a son off to Iraq, who has another son with a disability, and now has to help her teenage daughter face motherhood. These are experiences that millions of American moms have shared, can relate to and understand. She's accessible to us. Her story is exciting and at the same time mundane. Many of the women in America will look at Sarah Palin and see some of themselves in her. We may not all vote for her but will admire her willingness to serve her country and represent women in a positive light.

Another note: Governor Palin will be speaking tonight at the Republican National Convention. Tune in. Also did anyone see Joe Lieberman's speech last night? It was powerful. I especially liked his comments in regard to voting for the person and not the party. He obviously believes in McCain so much that he is putting his senate committee chairmanship on the line. The Democrats will not forget his "betrayal".

Can I just say, WOW! Sarah Palin is a dynamo. Her speech at the RNC was terrific. So great in fact that the only criticism the media can come up with is that her hair is 20 years out of date. *sigh* The substance of her speech was right on. She highlighted her experience and made the point the the elitist left are criticizing small town America when they dismiss her. She has a beautiful family, so supportive. I couldn't help the goosebumps I got when she introduced her family. Her dad was busting with pride, tearing up. Her husband seems so laid back and ready to step up to support her in this endeavor. Her baby Trig is an angel from heaven. I don't know why but I felt so proud of her too. I don't know Sarah Palin. I've never met her but last night I felt inspired. No matter what the outcome come November Governor Palin is a woman to be reckoned with. She's here to stay.

17 comments:

Mary and Ryan said...

I am more excited for Gov. Palin's speach tonight than I am for the new season of Gray's Anatomy... Ya, that excited! I agree with everything you so eloquently stated in this post. I agree that she is everything that liberal feminists have wanted for so long, and they can't handle that she is conservative. I am hoping that all this bad press is going to backfire and have the opposite effect....people going to bat for her....and voting for the Republican ticket in November.

Anonymous said...

I've been reading everything I can find about Gov. Palin and just yesterday I was thinking "I wonder what Jenny thinks of her". I loved reading your thoughts. Good analysis! Thanks for the post!

Mary and Ryan said...

I think her speech yesterday was the best I have heard in a long time! I totally spelled speech wrong in my last comment...awesome:)

Trisha said...

YAAY for Palin! Her speech was so motivational and real! I loved it, and I love her and her family. She would be such a great, fresh breath of hair as the vp. I am rooting for her (oh and mccain too).

{amy k.} said...

I'm so bummed I missed her speech!

I am part of a group collecting totals from the "nie nie auctions" and we are missing information from your auction totals. If you could please email us your grand total with your blog address that would be great! Thanks!

email:
nienieauctions (at) gmail (dot) com

jeannie said...

AMEN sista!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE HER!! Her speech rocked! I too have much more respect for McCain for choosing her! His speech last night was good too and I usually am not a big fan of him but he is getting better and with her by his side I'm actually excited again!! I love all she said about energy!! Something needs to be done about that and I don't think the democrats would be able to do it. I hope this momentum can pull them through!

Emily said...

I'm waiting for Steve's comment on this. I watched her speech and thought it was snarky.. but in a good way.

Steve said...

You're waiting for my comment? Wow, what a compliment! I could say quite a bit right now but I'll make it short.

1. What is more important, politics or the family?
2. McCain, Palin = same dirty politics as always. Why is insulting a political tactic? Can't anybody ever focus on what's important for the country instead of constantly attacking their opponents. And its not attacking their policies, but their person. Lies should never be acceptable. Come on.
3. Pandering to right-wing radicals - I thought McCain was a maverick but he is trying to get the same vote that put Bush in the White House. The same radical right that would never have voted for Romney just because of his religious beliefs. Ignorance and intolerance isn't acceptable. Who wants these people on their side? Not me.
4. Change? - You have to love that McCain is now trying use 'change' in his campaigning. Personally, I really don't see a difference between Bush and McCain.

Anyway, I could keep going but I'd rather not. I need to get to class.

jenny said...

wow, steve, i see you've been reading the huffington post. are you saying that palin should be staying home with her kids instead of campaigning for vp. that's a bit sexist. a man would never, ever be held to that standard. also, obama is no angel when it comes to slinging the mud. his campaign came out just today ripping on mccain about being computer illiterate & not using e-mail. the reason he doesn't type e-mail is because he doesn't know how but because of the disabilities he received as a pow. not very pc of them, is it. intolerance & ignorance are on the the other side too. the left is trying to discredit palin solely because she's a evangelical christian. oh, scary! the only thing i will probably agree on with you is that there is too much dirt in politics on both sides. on both sides. that will never change. i can't wait for this election to be over. imo, both of the candidates suck! :)

jenny said...

define right-wing radical please.

Emily said...

Oh Steve.. I can tell you've been reading some of your South American Socialist literature lately:)

I'm not quite sure what the phrases "right-wing radicals" "radical right" mean.

By the way, ALL politicians are mud-slinging including Obama, I think that is a requirement to be a politician.

I love you but I don't like your politics.

Steve said...

I'm a sexist? What's wrong with believing that it's better for a mom with kids to be at home then to run for vice-president. Isn't this just an idea and counsel that our leaders have given us. So, that must mean that our prophet and apostles are sexist then. She can choose what she wants but it's not best for her children. I don't care what you say.

Ok, mud-slinging on both sides is evident but trying to paint Obama as some kind of pedophile is ridiculous and way over the top. Has Obama tried to portray McCain as an adulterer or womanizer? No. You just have to love how you both of you believe that mud-slinging is accepted and ok. This is what is wrong with politics and what needs to changed. Politics really bring out the worse things in people. Oh, by the way, even Karl Rove has said that McCain has been over the top in his attack ads.

Yes, I read the Huffington Post but I also read the DrudgeReport and other news outlets. I try to see both sides and make a decision. The truth is that both of these candidates have their faults. Maybe Nader is the better candidate. I don't know.

The left is NOT trying to discredit Palin solely on her evangelical background but also on her experience and record. The question is is Palin ready to be president if McCain somehow dies in office? You just need to ask yourself this question.

Please don't discredit what I study. The Spanish language, including South America, has brought some of the most beautiful writing known. It's much more complicated than that. Yes, I read literature from South America, and No, it is not socialist. It is just a different point of view. Being in Argentina opened my eyes to the poverty and struggles of the world and the individuals that live in it. I think its important to look past ourselves in this country and look at what is best for the peoples of the world. This leads to my view on immigration and the lies and the hate that are spewed daily about this. I won't go into it now.

As for right-wing radicals, I know I didn't explain what I meant very well. I more meant that evangelicals and baptists and those who helped Bush into office. It's obvious that McCain is trying to get their vote.

Anyway, I'll stop now. Why didn't anybody address my 4th point? Maybe you're all in agreement. I think people are desperate for something different and McCain really looks like George W. Bush II.

If both candidates suck, why vote at all?

jenny said...

whoa, steve, we were just having some fun political ribbing. sorry if we got under your skin which we obviously did. we could debate a lot of this stuff forever. you are entitled to your own opinions as are we. as a mother i can respect another mother's decision to work outside of the home. would i do it? no, not right now, but who are we to make judgments on how another family decides to run their family. if you research a lot of the recent statements from the brethren on this issue, they have been a lot more gentle, i guess you could say, as to this respect. there are many families that have a dad as a primary caregiver. some people may say palin's power hungry or that her priorities are out of order, etc. i say that these are some of the issues that feminists on the left have been trying to push through for generations. equal rights and all of that stuff. why are they allowed to be hypocrites about it now? the fact is if it was a democratic woman in the same circumstances as palin there would be no objections to her at all. they simply do not like her because she is a conservative woman and why would they. she does not hold the same political ideas as they do. as for mccain dying. valid point. i do not say this lightly at all, but don't you think with all of the racists in this country obama has just as much of a chance at being assassinated than mccain has of dying in the next four years. his mother is 94, for pete's sake. i would much rather have palin as president, in all of her inexperience, than an unethical biden. i will address your 4th point if you want. i don't see how mccain is another bush. because he supports the war? i don't get that mccain the same stuff and how exactly is obama different. he's been in washington for 4 years or so. there's no change in his democratic platform of raising taxes, spending money this country doesn't have and raging on about a war the dems voted for. frankly steve, the biggest issue in this election for me is the economy. I'm scared that my husband won't have a job in 6 months. if obama is elected he's already said that he will rescind the bush tax cuts which i believe will in turn cause a depression. how can he even think about raising taxes on businesses that are already struggling in this crap economy. i know you think that i'm a no-holds-bar, no-independent-thought for myself bush-loving, mccain/palin groupie but that's far from the truth. i believe that bush is as much to blame as congress for what's been going on in this country. they pass the bills and he signs him. i have some major concerns regarding health care. now that i have a child with a disability that inevitably will be receiving governmental assistance i'm trying to keep abreast of healthcare reform and what it can do for us. i'm sympathetic to immigration. we've discussed this before. i admire your capacity for compassion. you have a strong will that i admire. we're not so much apart that we can't agree on some things. :) anyway i hope you won't stay to mad for too long. :)

Emily said...

I wasn't in anyway trying to insult you Steve. I respect what you are studying. Obviously, we have different life experiences that shape us. We'll probably never agree on immigration issues just because of that fact. Just like Mom and I will never agree about middle eastern politics. It's just the way it is.

You know that we are a family that is super passionate about politics, we just don't share the same view. Nothing the matter with that:)

Steve said...

I'm not mad at you. That's ridiculous. Obviously, I need to work on tone in my writing. I've learned that politics always breed contention and that I've always steered clear from them. It's just not worth it. Maybe this is my cue to distance myself again from it. We'll see. By the way, school and teaching are going well. I'm teaching the Spanish 101/102 accelerated class and am enjoying it a lot.

jenny said...

oh yeah, i don't want to get in trouble again but i wanted to say one thing about mccain and infidelity. the stories about him leaving his first wife are 30 years old. who really knows what the exact circumstances were except him and her? he has good relationships with his children from that marriage and i read an article where his first wife said she supports him as a presidential candidate. she has obviously forgiven him and moved on. this whole story is a non-issue. why should he be raked over the coals about something that happened 30 years ago that the involved parties have forgiven. it's completely unfair. also I have never seen any credible evidence that he has been unfaithful to Cindy in their marriage. again, a non-issue that is unfair to mccain's credibility.

jenny said...

let's all sing, in honor of our favorite mom, Love At Home!! :)