**UPDATE**What else can I say? Congress has bailed out on the free market. They have voluntarily abandoned the US Constitution. It's a disappointment but not a surprise. We are at the threshold of a new era. I know it sounds dramatic but it is true. Prepare for Congress to make far-reaching and unprecedented regulations and legislation akin to The New Deal. Karl Marx would be proud.
The US House of Reps has defeated the "Bailout" Bill. The two reps from my district who are both democrats voted NAY. 95 Repubs and 90 Dems Voted NAY. Remember this when you start hearing the finger-pointing. My belief is that it didn't pass because the politicians are actually listening to their constituents. We're in for a rocky weekend. If anyone wants to understand more about this issue and has other economic questions check out this link.
********
I've been thinking a lot about this lately. I've been telling my kids for years that money doesn't grow on trees. They have to understand that they can't have immediate gratification. They can't have every toy they see at Target. They can't have that $4 bag of chips at the grocery store just because they're hungry. No, I'm not going to buy them a new pack of Pokemon cards just because. My kids are starting to understand that money doesn't magically appear and they have to earn it by doing their chores and helping around the house. I find it interesting that they are finally starting to understand this but our elected officials have chosen not too.
http://www.politico.com/blogs/thecrypt/0908/Second_stimulus_announced.html
http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=YTJkYjU2NWVmMjI5ZTBmMDkwZmNlMzA2ZTMwNGM5MWY=
Our government has started down a dangerous road. Repubs and Dems are both to blame. They are failing me and my children. They are teaching my kids that they do not need to be responsible for their decisions. They are teaching my kids that they don't have to work hard because the government will be there to "bail" them out. They are teaching my kids that money does grow on trees. I have compassion for people in difficult circumstances. But what precedents are our elected officials making when they are constantly "giving" away money that technically they do not even have? We are still being told by our government that we need to spend, spend, spend. Spend money that many of us don't have. Open those lines of credit. Buy things that you don't need. Go buy that new car or house even if you really can't afford it. I am getting sick and tired of it! Now our elected officials want to reward corporate greed and irresponsibility with nearly a trillion taxpayer dollars. A trillion taxpayer dollars from where? Supposedly the financial markets will pay us back but I see this burden falling on the shoulders of my hard-working children and my grandchildren. I'm disheartened. The current presidential candidates are both inadequately prepared to deal with the hard, economic road ahead. One seems to care. The other wants to play both sides. They are both current state senators but seem to have abandoned those jobs long ago despite still cashing the paychecks. One can't even find the time to go to Washington to work on the issues at hand except when invited out by the President. The politicians are crying innocent. The dems say it was all the repubs fault. Take some responsibility. When are these politicians going to realize that all we want is the truth? The hypocrisy is overwhelming. Yes, I'm venting. Yes, I'm rambling. Yes, I'm scared. We should all be.
7 comments:
I don't really know much about what is going on but you said makes sense. Nobody is responsible for anything they do anymore. And is there such as regulations or can large companies like this do whatever they want, not matter how risky it is to the country and its people?
No kidding, our government does seem to think that money grows on trees! Look at our country right now, it clearly doesn't.
amen sista friend,
i am totally confused because i can't trust that what they are telling us is the truth. are they just trying to scare us into supporting this action of the bailout? or is it real?? It's hard to know because somethings I hear say it's a scare tactic but then some experts are saying that this bailout has to be done. i'm so confused of what to wish for. i guess i'm mostly just scared of the crap hitting the fan!!
Hearing people say that this is the worst it has been since the great Depression is so scary! I say if the government is bailing out all the big companies with their money trees, send the rest of the country a little money bush or something:)
This is the best primer I've come across as to how we got into this whole debacle:
This American Life: The Giant Pool of Money
It's well worth the listen.
Dome Dweller introduced me to this blog that helps me at least to attempt to understand it all:
calculatedrisk.blogspot.com
By the way, if there is a tree that grows money.. show me where it is:)
Post a Comment