Monday, May 11, 2009

Mother's Day=Naps & Cakes

We had a low-key Mother's Day yesterday. I took an obscene amount of time out for an afternoon nap and read Austenland, a fun little book. Of course, I got my favorite gifts- homemade cards and other lovelies from the kids.


My daughter gave me a poetry book she made at school. My favorite poem follows:

Grey
Grey is a hurricane
Grey is crinkly like aluminum foil
It is the taste of bland and moldy bread
Grey smells like air after the rain
Grey is the sound of rolling thunder
And silver bells
Grey is a storm
Grey makes me calm
Grey is home.

It was so nice to know that our home is held in the same regard as moldy bread. Bwahaha!! I also loved this one.

If I Were In Charge of the World
If I were in charge of the world
I'd cancel snooty brothers, Subway,
Animal allergies and also
Geology tests.

If I were in charge of the world
There'd be cheaper Webkinz,
More Hungry Howie's and
More hardback Warrior books.

If I were in charge of the world
You wouldn't have guns.
You wouldn't have summer school.
You wouldn't have the dentist.
Or "Clean up the littler box".
You wouldn't even have the litter box.

If I were in charge of the world
TV wouldn't have boring commercials.
Money would grow on trees.
And a person who sometimes forgot to make the bed,
And sometimes forgot to wash her head
Would still be allowed to be
In charge of the world.

I am definitely all over the litter box thing! :D Oh, and the whole money growing on trees bit.

In tribute to my mom I wanted to share one of my favorite comfort foods. My mom is a wonderful baker and made this when I was growing up. She also makes scrumptious rolls and other yummy desserts. Sour Cream Pound Cake is the perfect Mother's Day indulgence. I splurged and make it for myself. Of course, I shared a little with everyone else. :D

Carolyn's Sour Cream Pound Cake
1 cup butter
2 1/4 cups sugar
6 eggs
3 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 cup sour cream
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp orange extract
1/2 tsp lemon extract

Cream butter until soft and fluffy. Add sugar gradually, beating until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time. beating thoroughly after each. Sift flour, salt, soda; add to batter alternately with sour cream, beating until smooth. Add flavorings. Prepare bundt pan by coating with oil spray or shortening, then sprinkling with sugar. Bake at 350 degrees for one hour. Cool for 10 minutes then remove from pan. Serve with fresh strawberries and whipped cream.

I hope all you yummy mummys out there had a Mother's Day worthy of you. Don't you wish we could celebrate Mother's Day once a month? I know I do.

3 comments:

JaMie HeApS said...

yum that cake im going to have to give it a whirl. and the poems, hard to beat. glad you got a good nap in, it wouldnt be mothers day with out one.

Trisha said...

Happy late mothers day to you! Glad you had a nice relaxing day topped off with some delicious cake. Cant beat that!

Emily said...

That cake looks so YUMMY! I could eat half of one right about now.