DD and I went on a date the other night to Barnes & Noble. She decided to buy the first Harry Potter book and I picked up Vanity Fair, a nice long period novel I haven't read before or seen a movie of. As we were perusing the juvenile books I couldn't help but get excited about all of the books I saw that I had read when I was growing up. My mom introduced me to many of the classics that I still love today. My favorites included:
1. The Betsy/Tacy/Tib books by Maud Hart Lovelace
2. Anne of Green Gables series by L.M. Montgomery
3. The Shoes series by Noel Streatfield
4. Nancy Drew by Carolyn Keane
5. Hardy Boys by Franklin Dixon
6. Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink
7. Jacob Have I Loved by Katherine Paterson
8. Ramona series by Beverly Cleary
9. Emily of New Moon series by L.M. Montgomery
10. Little Women & Little Men by Louisa May Alcott
11. Strawberry Girl by Lois Lenski
12. Little House on the Prairie series by Laura Ingalls Wilder
13. The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare
14. Rose in Bloom by Louise May Alcott
15. Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton Porter
16. Westing Game by Ellen Raskin
17. The Secret Garden & A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett
18. Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
19. The Red Fairy Book by Andrew Lang (also purple, blue, green, etc.)
20. The Bobbsey Twins by Laura Lee Hope
What were your favorite books to read when you were a kid?
4 comments:
This might be a sad commentary on my reading as a child (or lack thereof) but the only books that I could really get into were the Judy Blume books, Sweet Valley High, and those cheesy Jack Weyland books about teenage girls. Sad huh. I did read a lot of Shakespeare and other classics as part of my studies, and I did enjoy those, but I cannot claim that they were not assigned reading. I hope to help my kids have a better list like you've generated! In our house now, with my kids, we love The Great Brain books. Have you done those?
Oh my gosh, I can't believe you loved the Witch of Blackbird Pond, it was one of my favorites and I don't think I've known anyone else whose ever read it. I loved when Nat named his new ship after her but its called the Witch.
Sad, I know...
Oh yes, I have read Blackbird Pond many times. I think the ending is my favorite part. I'm a sucker for a happy ending. In fact, we have a copy upstairs that we got from Tempe a few months ago. I may have to start on it again. Flippy, we have the first Great Brain book & have started it. Matt loved that book when he was a kid.
When I was really young I liked the Box Car Children, the Hardy Boys, Little House on a Prairie, American Girls books and various other books. Once I was in 6th grade I was reading The Work and the Glory. Sometimes I wish I would've read more of the classics. I also wish I had written down all of the books that I've read. That would be quite the list!
By the way, let the mourning begin. Check it out... http://community.tvguide.com/blog-entry/TVGuide-Editors-Blog/Ausiello-Report/Veronica-Mars-Officially/800016822
Post a Comment