Friday, June 8, 2007

Making Waves

So, here's my making waves at the pool & standing up for something story of the week. The kids started swimming lessons this week and yesterday when we got there & parked I noticed a couple of the teen-aged, bikini-clad lifeguards writing phrases on their co-workers cars windows. I had parked right next to one of cars and of course couldn't help but read what they wrote. To my surprise(?), I saw they had written an obscenity on the window. Not just any obscenity, but the king of all bad words. I was pretty mad considering I had my kids with me, one of which is a very smart reader. Generally, I let a lot of things slide, sometimes things I shouldn't because I am people pleaser. I don't like people being mad or upset with me. Who does?! But I couldn't let this one go, so I went to the guard office & let one of the guards know that there was an obscenity written on the car & that I thought it was completely inappropriate in a place with children, etc, etc. He was embarrassed and said it would be taken care of. When we left, the guilty parties were wiping the windows clean. This whole scenario left a bad taste in my mouth. I felt bad that kids think it's ok to do things like that. Bad teen-age common sense, I guess. I felt bad that I hesitated for a moment before I did something about it. It definitely has made me start thinking about the choices I make in my life. We are always in a state of progression & hopefully it's the little things like this that can help me be a better person! :)

2 comments:

Trisha said...

Power to you! You did the right thing! Good work!

ashtonclan said...

Go you! I think that was excellent that you didn't let that fly. I used to be so embarrassed when my mom would take on things like that, but now it's my turn. It's amazing the things we're fighting against for the sake of our kids. You rule!